Skip to main content

Will sis be affected due to monies received due to a death in a car accident

Yonkers, NY |

my son was tragically killed in a car accident driven by my brother in law will monies i receive due to his death affect my sis benefits , Ty

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You need to be careful when accepting monies from a personal injury settlement as may lose some government benefits. You can try a special needs trust and others. You need to speak with your lawyer and ask how to protect government benefits.


There is simply not enough information here to say one way or the other. On the other hand, there is probably too much information needed to make a posting here practical. I suggest you contact an attorney in your area, preferably one familiar with personal injury matters or special needs trusts. Assuming you had an attorney handling your late son's claim, he/she should be able to answer your question.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change appropriately.


Attorney Craig Post is absolutely correct. Your situation is much better suited to the question and answer session that can occur with a phone call or a meeting with a lawyer. If you have an attorney connected with this situation, that is absolutely the first place to start. If not, there are many of the best attorneys who will talk to you and flesh out your facts and circumstances and provide you with some initial guidance, without cost or obligation, and you are wise to take that step with an attorney in your area immediately.


Don't see why it should be affected. Would need more information to explore your concerns.


More info is needed. Best bet is to get on the phone immediately with one of the lawyers in your state who answered above to discuss.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer