Skip to main content

Will my juvenile record jeopardize my chances of applying for a work permit ?

Seattle, WA |

Hi, when I was 17 I was charged with domestic violence in the 4th degree and witness tampering which in my understanding are both misdemeanors, and was also convicted of court order violation, which is a class c felony but I successfully went through with a differed disposition which supposedly would clear that felony off my record.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Juvenile convictions do not necessarily disqualify you from DACA benefits, but the USCIS has a great deal of discretion in such matters.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Depending on how old you are now, and if you can show rehabilitation, you may still qualify for DACA. However, USCIS has discretion on these matters. Consult with an immigration attorney.

Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 646-407-2331, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


I agree with my colleagues.

This information is intended as general information only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship between me and the asker.


You will want to set a consultation to review both the risks and potential benefits of applying, and the likely chance of success versus the potential outcome in the event of a denial. You will want to obtain a copy of the court record before setting a consulation.