Skip to main content

Will my friend still be able to secure us citizenship

Columbus, OH |

a friend of mine entered the us legally but was working illegally. he just had a child and planned on marrying in december. unfortunately, while working he sold a single cigarette and was arrested and fingerprinted. instead of using his name he used his fathers name that he no longer has contact with...will this arrest negativley affect his application for us citizenship? what other options can he pursue

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


The immigration consequences of convictions depend on the exact language of the statute under which the conviction took place.

You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, including the court disposition and the charging documents, in order to advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I highly recommend you retain a lawyer who is familiar with the immigration consequences of criminal activity (many times this is a niche area). Use someone from the jurisdiction where the arrest occurred since that lawyer will need to be familiar with that state's penal code.

This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.


He can't apply for citizenship because he's not even a permanent resident yet. And yes, it will be an issue.

JP Sarmiento
Free Consultations
Ohio Immigration Lawyer


This person is not a citizen but if you meant whether he could become lawful permanent resident, admission of a crime and conviction, local, state, or federal, could affect his eligibility. In such situation often the person should have a criminal lawyers working alongside an immigration attorney.
Lalita Haran
Attorney: Immigration Law
13295 Illinois St Ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer