Skip to main content

Will my fiance still be deported to Trinidad?

San Bernardino, CA |

My fiancé was recently convicted (must serve 5yr sentence) in CA for conspiracy money laundering & content to distribute. If he and I marry will he still be deported after serving his sentence? He has been in the US for 15 yrs and served in US Army for 8yrs, doing 2 tours in Iraq. He has children with ex wife and he and I have a son as well. Is there any way to get around this possibility?

If I myself am active duty Air Force and we married, would this change anything? He has obtained a green card but I believe it is expired.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Those are both very serious crimes and either one will make him inadmissible. One is a crime involving moral turpitude (money laundering) and the other a felony drug offense (intent to distribute). Get a full copy of the criminal records and consult with an experienced immigration attorney.

713-772-2300. All information provided is general in nature. Please consult with an immigration attorney with full details of the case.


I agree with my colleague.

You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues. These are very very serious crimes that will limit his availabilty for relief. You need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney but before you do get all of the records of conviction so they can be fully discerned and the ramifications on his immigration status be determined. With the seriousness and nature of the crimes, at first blush his only hope of relief may be under the United Nations Convention Against Torture.

Mr. Lorenzon's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but rather is meant to share knowledge with the general public. For specific advise on your case, you need to consult one on one with an immigration attorney. Mr. Lorenzon can be reached at 216 573 7322 or at All initial constulations are free.


I agree with Mr. Fong. The only possible exception might be if there was a plea of guilty back in 1996-1997 (you dot not say).


i agree -- you have good equities but two serious crimes. If he served in the U.S. Army I am assuming he is already a permanent resident? You need a legal evaluation to determine if he will be eligible for cancellation of removal or otherwise determine appropriate relief. There are also special citizenship provisions for military on active duty if he is a PR.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108
phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law


It appears that your fiance's criminal convictions are for aggravated felonies. In such a case he is statutorily precluded from establishing the good moral character for naturalization and ineligible for most forms of relief from deportation. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your fiance's criminal and immigration history and advise you what options may be available.

While written by an attorney who is a Florida Bar Certified Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law, the statements herein should not be construed as legal advice. No attorney/client relationship has been created without a formal consultation with the attorney and the attorney has agreed to accept your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer