Skip to main content

Will my employer be in trouble for employing me without a work permit?

New York, NY |

I recently married my USC husband and we are filling for my greencard. Will my employer be in serious trouble when I disclose that I was employed without a work premit?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Possible, employers must employ employees who are eligible to work or who are authorized to work in the United States and to maintain an I-9 Employee Eligibility Verification.

Garmo Law Group, PLLC (Michigan) 248-626-0050. This advice is only general in nature and does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. Speak to an experienced attorney before making decisions.


Not really if you hurry and apply for an EAD as part of your marriage based green card application.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Possible but unlikely unless there are many others like you working for the employer. Regardless, you must tell the truth on the application.

Alvaro De La Calle Calle Law, PLLC (336) 610-5000