Skip to main content

Will my bench warrent show up when i go to court in another state?

Baltimore, MD |

I have a warrent in NC but live somewhere else i have a court date in the state that i reside in now. will i have a problem when i appear for court?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Most likely yes. Usually the courts and law enforcement do a search for warrants for people with court dates. Some jurisdictions are more diligent than others. They may arrest you there and then it is an extradition matter. Get an attorney now to look into it and advise you.

This response is based on information provided. Many variables may exist that can only be addressed in an interview. This answer in no way creates an attorney-client relationship.


The warrant will likely show up. Whether or not NC extradites you will depend on the severity of the charge. It is expensive to extradite long distances. You maybe held several days until NC jurisdiction decides to extradite you or not.


With the proliferation of internet access and transparency, it is likely that the jurisdiction may have information regarding the NC warrant. If you go to court, and nobody mentions the warrant, I would probably advise that there is no reason for you to voluntarily provide that information to the court.

If the court detects the warrant, they have a variety of options. It is possible that they may detain you until they have contacted the NC to see if they feel it necessary to extradite (pick yo up) and take you to NC.

If it is a felony warrant, it is likely that NC would have the interest in expending the resources necessary to bring you back to the state to answer for the charges. If they do this, you will still most likely be entitled to a Bond after arriving in NC.

On the other hand, if the warrant is for a misdemeanor or traffic offense, it is unlikely that NC would really exhaust the resources necessary to transfer you there.

Either way, I would definitely present yourself for this court date to make sure you do not turn one warrant in two warrants.

Also, you should consult with an attorney as soon as possible. It could make a huge difference.

Good Luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer