Skip to main content

Will it be bad/risky to get a parttime job with different employer while keeping the full time job with the sponsor (H1B, i140)?

Miami, FL |
Attorney answers 3


You can only legally work with a valid work permit--thus this would be likely bad. Be patient, your green card application is much more important than a part-time, unauthorized income.



Thank you Jose!! I thought the approved i765 will play the role of work permit.


Neither if you continue working full-time for the I-140 employer.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Not if you continue to work full time with the petitioning employer.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.