Will insurance in PA cover an accident if the car has expired emissions, and state inspection stickers?

Pittsburgh, PA |

I just realized that my car is due for inspection and I know I need tires. I have an appointment to get new tires tonight but of course it snowed today and I am nervous driving, if I would get into an accident with expired stickers will my insurance still cover the damages

Unless there is a specific Pennsylvania statute or a specific exclusion stated in your insurance policy which would bar coverage if your stickers have expired, you are covered. I have never encountered any policy which excludes coverage when there is an expired sticker, but that doesn't mean that the insurance company wouldn't try to stick that kind of provision in the policy. Even if it was there, it may well be against your state's insurance regulations or the public policy of your state and therefore invalid.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Unless there is a specific exclusion under the agreement, it's difficult to see how the condition of the car and its tires will affect coverage. Now, if you were to run the car in that condition for a long period of time, that may be deemed willful indifference, and willful conduct just may be excluded under the insurance contract.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

Your insurance should stil cover the damages, unless their is an exclusion or some other limitation in your policy. However, my suggestion would be that you make certain to get the new tires as soon as possible,

Yesl The questions are whether your car is insured and registered. Every insurance policy I have seen has had a grace period for inspections. We all neglect to have our cars inspected. I do it all of the time. Mick Leonard, J.D. www.micklaw.com www.bestcomplawyer.com

Coverage under your policy is dictated by the terms of the policy. If the accident resulted because of some issue related to a systems failure in the vehicle that would have been corrected at a state inspection & emissions check, then you may have to examine the exclusions portions of your policy a bit closer to ensure that they cannot deny coverage for some failure on your part to exercise your due diligence in maintaining your vehicle. Unless there is a direct correlation and a clear provision in the policy, I would not worry about it - turn in the claim and get that car inspected, before you get ticketed.