Will I still get trouble due to the hit and run claim right now?

Centereach, NY |

I had a minor accident at parking lot in front of my rental house. I hit a parked vehicle when backing off. It is around 6:00 am in the morning and everybody was sleeping, I knew the owner of the vehicle was also living in the house so I just left the scene and thought I could contact with the owner after returning since we all live here.On the second day, we negotiated the accident and I called the police to get an report. At that time, we all did not mention the hit and run issue to the police.Then my insurance handle the case to compensate her. But recently, i got message from the other party, she asked me to pay her the compensation for the diminished value since my insurance company refused to cover it and threatened to claim hit and run against me if i would not pay her.

Best Answer

I wouldn't worry about any hit and run issues. Once you have exchanged information (and insurance covered the claim) you cannot get into any trouble.

You owe it.

Don't stress b/c it was ultimately reported.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

You contacted the other party before the police got involved. You are fine.

Jonathan N. Portner, Esquire, Portner & Shure, P.A. Maryland and Virginia Personal Injury Attorneys. This response is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This response should not be relied upon. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm