Skip to main content

Will I lose my license????

Birdsboro, PA |

I recently "failed to stop" at a stop sign, according to the police officer on duty. I def didn't and if I did it was half a second less than I should have. It added 3 points to my already 5 and now I have a departmental hearing because it's my 3rd time for a possible suspension. My question is, whose decision is it if I should lose it? And do I get a chance to explain the situation? Losing my license now will effectively ruin the next year of my life, all I do is drive to work and save money but my driving record isn't squeaky clean. But it's a stupid stop sign violation so I'm hoping they're lenient...

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


The decision is that of the PennDot hearing examiners. You may appeal to that decision by filing an appeal in the Court of Common Pleas in the county that your ate licensed in. Don't be surprised if you get a 10 days suspension.

Basil Beck


You can also try to fight the violation itself, pa law allows drivers in some situations to encroach over the stop line if the view of perpendicular traffic is obstructed

All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. Without the benefit a personal consultation to exploe all of the facts of your legal problem, the information in this posting may be inaccurate and for that reason it should not be relied upon. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.


I agree with my colleagues. The commonwealth could offer a lesser offense without points involved, but due to your history they may be reluctant.

This is not intended as individual legal advice and there is no attorney client relationship established by this answer. It is advisable that you seek individualized legal assistance. This is not a substitute for hiring an attorney.


To maximize your chances of a good result, you should hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you. The cost of the attorney is minimal compared to the problems caused by the loss of your license.