Skip to main content

Will i have to pay taxes on money iv'e inherited from my mothers estate

Cleveland, OH |

i recieved approx 25,000 after my moms pasing. i deposited approx.14,000 in an i.r.a. unfortuinately ive been out of work,and had to take out most of it to pay utilities,legal fees food transportation e.t.c. will i be responsible for state,lcal and federal taxes? if so how much?? ThankYou!!!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Your facts are not clear, but here are some general rules in this area. Bequests are generally not taxable income to the recipient. One exception is called income in respect of a decedent (IRD), things like retirement benefits, annuities, salaries paid after death, etc. If your inheritance was not an IRA then you do not pay any income taxes. However, if the bequest was an IRA and you withdrew this amount, you must pay federal income tax on this amount. I am not an OH attorney so I can not tell you if such amounts are taxable under state and local law. As far as the 10% penalty for early withdraw of IRA monies, there is an exception for distributions upon death of the participant. So you would not be subject to the federal 10% penalty.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thanks.
Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties and services clients throughout the state of Pennsylvania. He can be reached at 215-735-2336 or at the email address listed below. He is rated as an AV Preminent attorney from Lexis-Nexis Martindale Hubbell having the received the highest possble rating in legal ability and ethical standards. In addition, he has received a 10.0 rating from AVVO and recently was featured as a 5Star Wealth Manager in the Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009 issue on page 123.
Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.


Your probably will not have to pay any tax on your inheritance. You likely will have to pay a penalty when you withdraw funds from your IRA.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.


I agree with attorney Fromm. You need to determine the source of this inheritance. If it is not an IRA it is most likely not taxable. However, beneficiaries can have secondary liability to pay estate taxes if the estate does not have sufficient funds to pay the estate tax. A good place to start is to talk with the attorney, accountant, and or executor of the estate.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.