Skip to main content

Will I have to pay back Child Support money collected by CSU for my child who turned 21 two months ago?

Oneida, NY |

My divorce court order reads that my ex is to pay child support until my child turns 21. My child turned 21 two months ago. My child is still in college full time (3rd year). CSU is still collecting and my ex is still paying CS. Is it my ex's responsibility to take me back to court to point out my child is now 21? Will I have to pay back money for the time since my child turned 21 or will it be based on when my ex files a petition to stop paying? I called CSU but they told me they couldn't answer my question and that I should ask a lawyer.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You are receiving money you are not entitled to. You may have to give it back and perhaps you have criminal exposure but I doubt you will get arrested.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Since you are not entitled to the funds under the divorce decree, you will probably have to give it back unless he lets you keep it.


You are not entitled to keep that money. Your ex may sue you and demand repayment of the funds.

It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact our office at 516-669-3295. We are located in West Babylon, NY and proudly offer very low rates and free consultations. For more information, please see our website: <a href="">Long Island Divorce Lawyer Louis Sternberg.</a>


Bring the paperwork to your divorce lawyer to review it. If you are not entitled to it, then you will need to refund it.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer