Will I get jail time?

Edinboro, PA |

Me and my friends got charged with conspiracy and retail theft today, I have no criminal background. Am I going to get jail time? The total merchandise between is all was $349

No

Specific legal advice can only be given with full knowledge of all of the facts and circumstances of your situation. Posting a question on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. All questions you post will be available to the public; do not include confidential information in your question. If you would like to consult with me privately, you may do so by telephone at 215-423-5500.

The better question is whether you can avoid a conviction. Retain an experienced criminal defense attorney and I think you will avoid jail time and a conviction. You may be eligible for a first time offenders program which could lead to having the charges dismissed and you being able to have the case expunged. Get a lawyer and good luck.

I agree completely with Me. Keller. You need to seek the help of a good criminal defense attorney. You are not looking at jail time, but there are major negative consequences from a theft conviction that with harm your chances for higher education and employment for a very long time. Most here will provide you with a free consultation. Take advantage of that to speak with one or more lawyers privately and confidentially. Good luck.

It is always in your best interest to consult an attorney experienced in criminal defense work when facing criminal charges. Certainly you want to minimize the extent of the punishment you might directly receive as a result of the charges, but you also want to be thoroughly informed of the collateral consequences of a convictions and how it might affect your future in terms of employment, education and licensing.

This should not be interpreted as legal advice. You should consult with and meet with an attorney before making important legal decisions.