Skip to main content

Will I be eligible to stop my deportation with dream act or is there anything I can do?

Los Angeles, CA |

I am a 24 yo male with deportation process and I was brought here at the age of 2. I couldn't finish high school, but I have my GED and no felonies. I believe I qualify for all the requirement, but unfortunately I've had 3 tickets for driving without a lisence. Is there anything I can do to drop one of my misdemeanors? Is there anything I can do at all? I read on the newspaper that if one has 3 misdemeanors one is not eligible. Please I need help!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You may be able to have a criminal attorney go back to court and try to set aside.


It depends if the traffic violations were classified as misdemeanors or violations. Gather all your court documents and schedule an appointment with an experienced immigration lawyer.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Lisa Michelle Anderson

Lisa Michelle Anderson


Over the last 10 years I have had several clients tell me they have misdemeanor convictions when they actually do not. It is common for clients to think they have criminal convictions when all they have are infractions or traffic violations which do not pose a problem in most cases if there are not too many. I recommend that you have an immigration attorney do a criminal background check on you; both the federal and state systems. That way you can find out for certain whether you will have problems. The Deferred Action process is discretionary so there will be some cases where it will be difficult to determine whether you are safe to file. But in your case, it is likely that a good attorney will be able to advise you once they have reviewed your background check.


If you have more than one misdemeanor, then almost certainly no.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer