Will i be drug tested at my court date?

Savannah, GA |

I was arrested for possession of marijuana and a pipe on tybee island GA, witch mostly survives off of tourist money. i had one court date where i made the choice to seek council, and now am going to my second court date, i am wondering if i will be given a drug test at my court date, only one lawyer I've talked to so far made me think i might be, all the others didn't even bring that possibility up, I'm sure it depends on the judge and his mood I'm just trying to get an idea of the likelihood of me being tested on the spot.

More than likely not. If you enter into a diversion program or go on probation you may be asked by a judge, but your initial court dates you should feel confident that you will not be tested. Remember something that a lot of people forget, it is still illegal in Georgia to possess or smoke marijuana. Hire counsel to assist you. Hope that helps.

This answer does not commit attorney Brad Reed to representation of the author of this post. It is recommended to discuss your case with an attorney and spend more time to better understand your situation.

i have an attorney I'm just trying to get a better idea of the proceedings and also a better idea of how well he may represent me, since he seemed to handle this differently then every other attorney i have spoken with, but due to approaching court date and price point I'm kinda stuck using him.

Benjamin Bradley Reed

Benjamin Bradley Reed

Contact him and let him know your concerns.

I seriously doubt you will be drugged tested. Courts usually only drug test people who have not been convicted of anything when they show up drunk or high to court. Absent that, you should be fine.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

i do have a clean record leading up to this, so that was my original thinking, one person said it would likely be dropped to disorderly conduct to keep the money i would be paying in fines local on tybee, as opposed to leaving it a criminal charge so my money goes to the state, is there any validity in that?

You should be fine unless you show up to Court intoxicated. I have yet to see it used outside of that situation.