Skip to main content

Will getting married help with getting my fiancées papers?

Manvel, TX |

We are getting married anyways but wanted to know. we also don't know where to start about getting them. He has been here since he was 15 he is now 27.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

If you are a US citizen, then it might help. How he can go about obtaining legal status will depend on several factors, including how he originally entered the country (with/without a visa), if he ever left the US after first entering, if he has a criminal record, etc. You should consult with a reputable immigration attorney to review details of your case and assess the options. Good luck.

[This answer is for general purposes only; it does not constitute advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.]


Depends on your status, how he entered the US, etc.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Begin with consulting with, and hopefully retaining the services of an immigration attorney experienced in waivers in your area.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


The process depends on the facts of your situation. Do consult with an experienced Immigration Attorney for assistance.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.