Skip to main content

Will Getting Into a Civil Union with my boyfriend help me become a citizen or give me any benefit?

Green Bay, WI |

We are both Homosexual. He will be an adult next year. one of us is USA Born Citizen. the other its not, but he is been living in the United States for 10 years now. We have been together for almost 2 years.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The federal government does not recognize civil unions for any purpose. So, it won't help you.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.


You should find an immigration attorney to help him. I'm sorry you're going through this.