Skip to main content

Will getting caught shoplifting show up on my criminal record?

Irvine, CA |

Today I was caught shoplifting at Albertson's for goods worth $11.82.
LP didn't call the cops and let me go, however, she scanned my school ID
(has my picture, school name, & Student ID Number) & said that I'll
receive a civil demand letter and have to pay restitution fees. I also
signed a paper saying my intent was to steal. Will this action of shoplifting
up on my criminal background / record after paying the fee? I just turned
18 years old 3 months ago.

Do I have to pay the free when I receive the civil demand letter?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

No police equals no criminal record . Consensus among Avvo attorneys is to ignore civil demand letter.



If you were not given a citation to appear in court, then it's unlikely you will get a criminal charge on your record. However, you may be sent a citation down the road. Until then, don't worry about.

As for the civil demand, if/when you receive, contact an attorney to discuss your options at that point. My guess is, once you get it, you will be charged around $450-$500 for ATTEMPTING to steal from Albertsons. (If you were caught, I assume good were recovered). It's not always logical to pay that civil demand as it has no effect on the criminal case and is often mass-mailed to bait people into paying them. It's usually unlikely anything negative will come from ignoring it as it would turn into a small claims actions and will likely not be worth the hassle to recover that amount.

As I said, once you get that demand, call an attorney and discuss how to proceed.

Any information provided through in response to a question is not, and cannot be considered a formation of any Attorney-Client relationship. Questioner understands that the nature of this system allows only for a cursory review of case information, and more detailed information should not be divulged in this public forum. As such, Questioner is recommended to contact an Attorney in order to discuss the full details of their case and a more specific advisement of potential rights and liabilities.


If the police were not involved, there will be no criminal record.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer