Skip to main content

Will filing for divorce stop the sale of the home? What would you suggest? Does he have the right to ask for the 1/3?

Marstons Mills, MA |

My son's wife moved out in May, didn't continue to pay her 1/3 that she was paying while living in their home. They are in process of selling. My son would like to receive the 1/3, about $4500, that she should/would have paid at the closing, on top of the 1/2 they planned on splitting. He has told her that. She is angry and refusing and has threatened to file for the divorce to stop the sale of the home. The unfortunate part is she walked out on him all of a sudden and he doesn't want the divorce. Is there any hope for him? He has been under duress due to the financial responsibility and she has also won several competitions, one was $2500, during this time and says she has had no money to contribute and has no money now.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Technically, there is an automatic stay upon filing and service of domestic relations summons. But a party can the n petition the court for permission to sell the property.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.


A lot more information is required to fully analyze the situation. He should consult a local attorney ASAP and discuss the matter in detail.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


There are many issues to digest in your question. I realize that you had limited space on this forum but a decent answer cannot be given here other than I would suggest that your son file for divorce and petition the court to allow the sale. Considering neither are living there, it is a good possibility. He cannot do any major financial dealing without leave from court.

No attorney-client relationship is created in responding to this question, and advice provided is based solely on very limited facts presented, and therefore may not be correct. You are advised that it is always best to contact a competent and experienced with the practice of law in the county in which you reside.

Avvo divorce email series

Sign up to receive a 10-part series of useful information and legal advice about the divorce process.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer