Skip to main content

Will an open container look bad on my record? Will it be tough finding a good job?

Houston, TX |

I am 17 living in Texas but this hasnt been my first encounter w/ the law but nothing serious just fighting and minor pass curfew that I know of

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Generally, no. Most employers don't care too much about a Class C open container...especially if it happened a long time ago.

But remember that Texas is an employment at will state, so a prospective employer can refuse to hire you for any reason at all (that isn't constitutionally protected, i.e., gender, sex, etc.).

*** The fact that you solicited advice over a public forum waives any attorney-client privilege thus far. In addition, communications over this forum do not create any attorney-client relationship. To have a privileged conversation and/or establish an attorney-client relationship, contact me using the following information: Peyton Z. Peebles III Capitaine, Shellist, Peebles & McAlister, LLP, 713-715-4500 (office) 713-715-4500 (cell)


It's up to an individual employer to decide how they feel about it. Most employers won't care much about one class C. But a series of even minor offenses may be viewed differently. I would see it as flippant disregard for authority. It would concern me as an employer that you think fighting and drinking as a teenager is not a big deal. Now that you're looking for employment, hopefully your priorities will start to change.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.


The decision to hire someone is completely up to the employer. However, as a rule of thumb, a cleaner record will always better your chances versus equally qualified candidates competing for the same position. Be careful to avoid "straight-paying" any Class C Misdemeanors. If you do, they will result in a permanent conviction on your record. There are ways to keep a Class C Misdemeanor off your record, even if you choose to plea no contest or guilty to the allegations You should consult with an experienced criminal defense attorney prior to making the decision to plea, pay or fight the case at trial. Our office handles many cases similar in nature to these.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer