Skip to main content

Will an attorney in Illinois take a bond slip as a retainer?

Hazel Crest, IL |

My son is in jail for felony driving on suspended/revoked for the fourth time. I don't want him to have to do another 18 months in the penetentiary. I don't have much money but I need an attorney who can truly help him to get out of jail and to get his driver's license, because never actually had a driver's license before.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


While a cash bond refund to the attorney is possible, each attorney quotes his or her own fees and the CBR may or may not be sufficient. It depends upon the amount of the bond, minus the amount the clerk will keep , which will be available at the end of the case, assuming your son does not lose his bond for failure to appear. Your son badly needs a lawyer. If your cannot afford an attorney for your son, he will still be entitled to a public defender. Call around. There are many good lawyers near you.


Often, yes. But it depends on the attorney and on the case.


Attorneys normally require payments up front. Perhaps a bond reduction motionwould help your situation.

Every case varies depending on the law and the facts. Because questions often fail to disclose important facts, these 'answers' cannot and should not be relied upon as a replacement for a full or complete review of an actual case by a retained attorney. It is axiomatic that one only 'gets what they pay for', and this is one of those situations where such a phrase generally applies.


As long as it is a Cook County case, we often accept assignment of the CBR in lieu of a retainer, depending upon the amount of bond posted. The mandatory minumum for a fourth conviction of driving on a revoked, if he is revoked for a DUI, is 180 days in jail. That makes the 18 months pen time you referred to for his third offense a liitle surprising. At any rate, consult an experienced criminal defense attorney; most of us provide free consultations to discuss the case and fee arrangements.


I accept them for Cook Country cases.