Skip to main content

Will a notarized paper do any justice in court?

Akron, OH |

I have recently brooken up with my daughter's father. He did not sign the birth certificate and paterninty is not established. He wants something in writing acknowledging that he is her father. Will this hold up in court or with law enforcement. Is there any validity in a notarized form?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I am not really sure what your question is getting at. If he has not been determined by the court to be the father he has no rights that would "hold up" with law enforcement.

The reality is, if he wants to be designated father, then he needs to sign a paternity affidavit and register as father or seek a court action declaring him father. Either way without an order stating what his parenting time is, he has not rights.

If would be curious about what his motivation is and exactly what he wants you to sign as well as what he expects to accomplish from such a document.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer