Skip to main content

Will a misdemeanor b theft by check conviction keep me from becoming a nurse?

Huntsville, TX |

I wrote the check thinking I had the money in my account. It was less than $100 and I was convicted of it in 2009. I now want to apply for nursing school and was wondering if this would hinder me from doing so.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It's unfortunate that you took a conviction. Now you are stuck with a crime of moral turptitude on your record. You will at least have to explain this to the board. You should contact them directly to find out if it's an absolute bar.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.


Depending on all the facts of the 2009 violation & the nature of the "conviction" - was it a trial conviction; etc. You should obtain copies of the court record & speak to the attorney who represented you to full understand to conviction. Then you need to contact the nurse's board & ask your questions - or consult an attorney who handles license matter for their advice & assistance.

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer