Skip to main content

Will a court approve shared transportation costs from out of state visitation arrangement?

Syracuse, NY |

I live in CA and she lives in NY with our daughters where she has sole, legal and full custody. I get our daughters for 8 weeks in the summer time and I incur the entire cost of the visit. She continues to receive full child support when they are with me for the summer. I moved to CA two years ago after our divorce for financial stability. I pay 25% of my income to child support.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

They might, it depends upon the overall financial picture of both parties and the history of the case. Usually, but not necessarily always, it doesn't hurt to ask. I suggest you discuss the confidential details of your situation with an attorney in the area where the last court order was issued, and then you can decide whether to seek a modification of the child support. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.



Financial picture in the sense of who makes more? I pay around $3,600.00 each year on plane tickets for them to come to CA since they are young I fly out there and fly back with them. Meanwhile, I pay her child support for that entire period of time, daycare while I am at work, food and all other expenses.


You need to file for a downward modification of support . You need the help of an attorney.

I am an attorney with over a decade of experience in Matrimonial and Family Law with offices in Brooklyn and Manhattan. I have experience in all five boroughs as well is Nassau and Suffolk County. I can be reached any time at 347-289-5886. The opinion expressed in this ad based upon the limited information provided and do not indicate an attorney-client relationship


The court can but you need to file something with the court asking. It could also do a deviation on support to account for the move. Talk to an attorney.


I tend to find that if the NCP moves away, the court will place the burden of transportation on that parent, but that is not always the case. Other factors may weigh in your favor. Contact an attorney in the jurisdiction where the mother and children reside. Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer