Will a Class A misdemeanor (petty theft<500) affect medical doctor licensing?

Memphis, TN |

I have absolutely nothing else on my record, including traffic violations, and the judge granted me dismissal under the merchant restitution program in TN.

I am 21 years old and so would have the record expunged and would not obtaining my medical license until 25-26 years of age.

It will not prevent you from being a doctor and getting licensed but will have to be disclosed and explained, most likely even if it is expunged when you apply.

It will need to be disclosed, whether it will or not will be up to the board making the decision. You should check to make sure it really was dismissed.

This response does not create an attorney client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only. Only a lawyer fully versed on the facts and circumstances of your case can properly advise you on the case. I am licensed to practice in Minnesota, not every state. You should always consult with an attorney licensed in your area on how best to proceed.

This will have to be explained well to the Board as it is a matter that reflects on honesty and credibility. You will need to overcome this with other positive attributes and contributions.

Since medical licenses are a privilege, the proper place to get your answer is the medical licensing board. The disclosures differ greatly from employment disclosures. You can contact TBI for a criminal background check to verify your record.