Will a charge for petit larceny, plead to a disorderly conduct and immediately sealed keep me from passing the C&F examination?

New York, NY |

In February 2012 I was at a bar and when I left (not blackout, but fuzzy memory) I grabbed a jacket I thought was mine (it wasn't) and left. Another patron ran out and stopped as I left saying I took his friends jacket. I denied it and pushed him. NYPD intervened and viola, it wasn't my jacket. Charged with petit larceny and harassment. Retained counsel who spoke with prosecutor and explained the situation. Prosecutor agreed to a disorderly conduct plea with community service and immediate sealing. I have no other conduct issues period--no other arrests, academic discipline, or even a speeding or parking ticket. I have disclosed to the bar and am wondering if it sinks my chances.

It will not automatically kill your chances. Hopefully the rest of your application and interview will overcome this one mistake. Good luck.

I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Brooklynlaw.net Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: howard@brooklynlaw.net. This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

No.

Sounds like both your attorney and the DA dished out real justice. Cannot see his being a disqualifying issue for you as the exam. I have heard of NYPD getting "on the job" despite a misdemeanor or two so you should be OK.

Law Office Of Michael Marley
Phone 917 853 4484

You should be fine

It shouldn't be a problem as dis con is not a crime (felony or misdemeanor).

No and good job disclosing it. Hell most attorneys have had a DUI or some type of infraction in their lives. We are all human. Best of luck!