Skip to main content

Wife drove friends car and crashed it. Wife had full coverage but friend did not and had a lien for the car. Who is responsible?

Havelock, NC |

Happened awhile ago tried to settle but is taking her forever and now she lost the paperwork. I tried to do the right thing but now she is being dumb. Damage was $7000

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Your wife would be responsible for the damages caused. You should report the matter to your insurance company.


You first need to contact your insurance carrier with your concerns and request from them copies of any documentation they have concerning the alleged damages.

View my website & give me a call for a FREE consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


This entire matter needs to be turned over to your wife's insurance carrier and ask them to defend and indemnify her. Sounds like your wife is responsible for the damages.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Your wife should report it to her insurance company.


Your wife. Fortunately, she's got coverage. Unlsess your wife wants to pay the damages out of pocket, I'd report it to your auto liability insurance carrier.

William Owens
Owens & Miller, PLLC
4030 Wake Forest Road, Suite 101
Raleigh, NC 27609
Phone no: (919) 719-2750
Fax no: (919) 516-0063