Skip to main content

Wife agreed to go back to work but never did. Can this be used to help me with reducing alimony?

San Diego, CA |

I have been married for 18+ years. Before we decided to have kids we agreed that wife would stay at home until they were old enough for her to go back to work. This was after the youngest left elementary school but of course wife never returned to work and never showed an interest. Does this help my case?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You have posted a series of 27 questions here about your impending divorce. For this quantity of legal advice, you need to consult with an experienced and skilled family law attorney. Your expectations of this Q and A service are beyond what can prudently be counted on.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.


This is not the only matter a judge will consider in deciding spousal support and/or child support. You need to look at family code section 4320 on the issue of spousal support. Suggest you get an attorney.


The legal advice you're getting in response to these questions, without any factual details, is worth what you're paying for it. If you have serious concerns, then you're taking the right first steps by writing them down; the next step, however, is for you to sit down with that list with an experienced family law attorney and get real answers.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer