Skip to main content

Why would my workers comp checks stop coming?

Griffin, GA |

i have been on wc for about 8 months.dr said i need a crvical fusion but insurance has denied it and wants a 2nd opinion that i have been waiting on since weekly checks have stop coming.can they stop sending them anytime they get ready?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


Time to get an Attorney. The Ins Company may have already paid the estimated value of your case, but someone will have to look at your materials in person.

Attorneys are very competitive. Choose the Best Answer so we know who helped you the most.


Only under certain limited circumstances can the insurer stop paying weekly benefits. Call me at 404-425-6235 and I will review things with you at no charge.


When your checks stop it is usually a sign that the worker’s comp. carriers has received their second opinion and are probably denying your need for surgery. You need to contact a local worker’s comp. attorney ASAP.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


No. In Georgia, once you have been getting WC checks for as long as you have been getting them, they can only stop your checks based on a change in condition. Generally speaking, this means that either (1) Your doctors have released you to full duty work and the insurer has given you 10 days notice of a suspenson based on the release, or (2) you have returned to work somewhere else on your own, or (3) they have formally offered you a job that you doctor says you can do, but you did not show up to try it. These are simplified a little, but generally speaking, you probably should still be getting your checks. Feel free to call if you would like to discuss your particular situation further. (770) 951-5444.


You need an experienced GA WC attorney. They cannot stop your checks. What may have happened is the adjuster inputted a certain number of payments to go out weekly and she just did not put in a new order for more TTD. Adjusters do this sometimes to get the claimant to call them. Anyway your case is about to get complicated and you need an experienced GA WC attorney. cell phone is-678-362-1407.


All of the answers provided are correct. You do need an attorney to represent you. If you would like to discuss the matter further, please give our office a call at 404-636-6616.


Based on the information provided, and unless there are some unusual facts that would change your specific situation, the insurer cannot unilaterally suspend your benefits. I agree with the other posts here that you need an experienced workers' compensation to ensure that your rights are protected and that you do not lose any important rights. I would be glad to discuss this further with you and I wish you all the best with your claim.

Provision of information in response to this question does not create an attorney-client relationship and the questioner is encouraged to seek and retain legal counsel in order to discuss their question(s) further and directly with legal counsel. Respondent is licensed to practice law in Georgia and Tennessee for non-Federal matters involving personal injury and workers' compensation, and is also authorized by the Social Security Administration to represent claimants nationwide in Social Security Disability claims. The questioner is advised that some responses on this site are provided by attorneys who are not licensed in the respective jurisdiction of the questioner, and any advice from attorneys on this site concerning state-specific areas such as workers' compensation by attorneys who are not licensed in the applicable and appropriate jurisdiction should be viewed as for general educational purposes and should generally be given lesser weight than responses by attorneys licensed in the governing jurisdiction. Response to this question further assumes that the questioner is not currently represented by counsel, and if this is not the case, then it is recommended that any further questions or concerns be directed to their current legal counsel.


As Mr. Herdon has stated, your case is about to get complicated. Your type of injury can be very costly to the insurance carrier and they may decide to dig in their heels. If you do not already have an attorney, you need to find one now or you may be facing the prospect of not getting the medical treatment and benefits you need now and for the rest of your life.

The above information is general in nature. In order to obtain more specific and legal advice upon which to base your important decisions, please contact our office directly for a free phone or in person consultation. Robert M. Gardner, Jr. Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler St. Or 718 Oak St. Winder, Ga. 30680 Gainesville, Georgia (770) 307-4899 (770) 538-0555 serving metro Atlanta and all of Northeast Georgia Bankruptcy, Divorce, Personal Injury, Worker’s Compensation, Medical Malpractice, Adoption, Civil and Criminal Litigation

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer