Skip to main content

Why would an insurance company reject (multiple times) certified mail containing the documentation they have requested?

Long Beach, CA |

Infinity Auto Ins., Passenger, Spinal Injury, One year's time has elapse since the accident,

The character limitation will not allow me to go into great depth, but this is the skeletal: Riding in my friend's fully covered vehicle, we were broadsided while traversing an intersection, which she was cited "most at fault". During the impact, I was the recipient of multiple injuries to my right extremities, the worst being a severe injury to my lower back, which prevents me from working now. After receiving treatment at the ER, and further treatment for months by my PCP, Infinity Insurance denied the claim, including lost income, loss of use of my vehicle, etc. One year later, they are offering to cover only the cost of the med bills, and had refused all information or demands sent via Certified Mail, either directly to their offices 16 miles away, or to their Mail Processing Center in Birmingham, AL.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


There is no way to answer your question without knowing the specifics of your situation. However, if you do not have an attorney representing you in this, you should definitely get one as that will make it easier to resolve your case.


Probably because you don't have an attorney; among other possibilities

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


In addition to consulting an atty for this so you don't get screwed, there is no reqt that you send certified mail.

Richard M. Sands Jr.

Richard M. Sands Jr.


More likely you have an incorrect address also. Check with your state's insurance commissioner for up to date address ad telephone numbers for insurance carrier. That said, if you have a spine injury, you're playing with fire not having experienced local counsel handle this matter for you.


If you have a spinal injury you should definitely hire a lawyer. By not hiring a lawyer you may be playing into the insurance companies hands, hence the rejection of the certified mail. Most of us charge reasonable fees and are willing to speak with you without an upfront payment.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Please provide more detail. It is highly unusual for an insurance company to reject certified mail. Do you have the correct address?


You do not state where the incident occurred. If in California there is a 2 year statute of limitations on a personal injury claim against a private person or entity (i.e. non-governmental). If you suffered personal injuries, it my opinion it is a mistake to try and represent yourself unless the "spinal injuries" are very minor. It is possible you are sending the letters to a PO Box versus a street address. Certified mail cannot be left at a "drop" location, someone needs to sign for it.

I suggest you contact a personal injury attorney for a consultation.

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the State of California and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.


A fact or two would be helpful, but if you sustained a spinal injury, have a local spinal cord injury lawyer investigate.


Insurance companies have been known to abuse the rights of their customers. I recommend you to speak with a lawyer. Most of us on this site offer free advice. So, there is nothing to lose and a lot to gain by contacting one of us.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer