Why my green card is taking so long?

Garfield, NJ |

i apply to renew my green card on july12,2011 form i-751...i did my fingerprint...and on April 2012 they asked for adittional information...i send them twice and they recived my papers on June 2012.... today is august 2012 and they didn't bring my green card yet....why is taking so long...i call customer service they keep telling me that my case status is on process...

Given the fact that an RFE was issued, it would appear to be well within normal processing times.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

the problem is that in two weeks i am going to travel in my country.....i have my passport stamped but they kept my expired green card...Am i going to have any problem to come back(do i need anything else to travel except my stamp)...and what about if they denied my case while i am in my country,can i still re enter to the usa?

They are reviewing your petition. Go to www.uscis.gov to check the processing times for I-751. You may also want to hire an immigration attorney to help you.

i usually check my case status and it shows initial review ...does that mean they are reviewing and soon they are going to take a decision...

i checked the processing times and for i-751 is 6 months... i apply to renew my GD since last year...is almost one year and a half...

Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

If you do not here from them by October's end, see an attorney to help you.

Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Ok thank u i am going to wait till October,but the problem is that in two weeks i need to flight in my country,i already have my passport but do u think i am going to have any problem to re enter the USA. Or what about if they denied my Green Card while i am in Albania still can i re enter?

PS: I already have my passport stamped....do i need something else to travel?

Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Your stamped passport and/or the USCIS extension letter would be fine. If your petition is denied while you are away in Albania, you will not be denied re-entry because you have to be given the opportunity to have an immigration judge review your petition.

thank u so much....u really helped me...

Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Goodluck.

thank u...when i told u about my stamped passport i forgot to mention that immigration kept my expired green card... do they usually do that? and still is not a problem to travel without the expired GC?

I agree. This doesn't appear to be 'too long'.

IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.