Why don't lawyers call back there clients?

Port Jervis, NY |

I have call my family court lawyer like 20 times in the last 2 1/2 months and not had a call back from her,Same thing with my daughters lawyer i have gotten fed up. Do i keep calling and leaving messages or Do just let the judge know they are not doing there job???????

Best Answer

You probably have a court-appointed (18-b) lawyer. They typically don't respond as timely as a private lawyer because of their heavy workload and measly compensation. If phone calls don't work, send a fax or an e-mail. As with other things, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Most lawyers I know do return phone messages very promptly. I return them within one hour or the call is free

Most lawyers try to call back within 24 hours. Are these court appointed lawyers? They are terribly overburdened with too many cases. It is a real issue.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.