Skip to main content

Who will pay my daughter's medical bills? Can she get any information on what the insurer's policy limits are?

Youngstown, OH |

My daughter was injured in an auto accident (at no fault of hers) and the medical bills were submitted directly to the insurer's insurance company by my daughter's medical providers.

So when the claim is settled, will the insurer's Insurance Company be obilgated to pay the medical bills, my daughter's insurance company, or be given the entire payment in full so that she will pay the bills herself. The Insurance Company states that a lien can be filed against them if they do not pay the medical bills, is this true or false?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I'm sorry to hear that your daughter was involved in an accident. The first step you should take is to contact a personal injury attorney. There are many reasons to do so, but one is that an attorney can communicate with the insurance companies to make sure the bills will be taken care of in addition to your daughter's recovery for physical pain, physical limitations, mental anguish and the like. Generally speaking, an attorney can negotiate a lump sum settlement that includes the medical bills and all other damages. The attorney can often negotiate the medical bills down before payment. This can help your daughter obtain full compensation. I wish your daughter a speedy recovery. Good luck!


An "insurer" is an insurance company. You appear to be totally confused about how this may work. If you are talking about submitting medical bills to the adverse driver's insurance company, that is not a good idea and they will not pay those bills as they are incurred. Your daughter should: obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer