Who signs the I-485 and I-130 on behalf of a minor child?

Louisville, KY |

For example, on the I-485 Part 5 [Applicant's Statement], if the mother is filling out the form and the child cannot read or understand English, does the parent check where it says "I can read and understand English, and I have read and understand each and every question and instruction on this form, as well as my answer to each question"? Also, on the I-485 Part 6 [Signature of Person Preparing Form, If Other Than Above], does the parent fill that section out?

I mean, does the parent or the child sign for I-485 Part 6?

Best Answer

I agree with my colleague. For the 485, if a child can write his own name, I usually ask the child to sign. There are sections for the interpreter to sign in 485 if an applicant does not understand English.

Depends on the age of the child when it comes to I-485. As to the I-130, there is no place nor the need for the child or anyone else in his or her place to sign.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Ah yes. Then just for the I-485. The child is 3 years old. Does the parent print their name where it asks for it, or the child's in this case?

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Yes.

A parents can sign on behalf of a child under 12.

--
Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
Fax: (619) 923-3277
website: www.immigrateme.com

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law