Skip to main content

Who should finance the family if the head of the family underwent a serious accident and is unable to work (paralyzed)?

New York, NY |

The family comprises of the man (the head), his wife, his parents, and two children who go to school.
The man, a working and well paid guy underwent a road accident and was paralyzed and he also lost the ability to talk, work or take care of himself. He is undergoing treatment. His wife is unemployed and already has too much to take care of, her husband and their two kids. Isn't it obvious that the paralyzed man's father should support the family financially? If the man's father denies to support and demands the wife's father to do it, is that a crime?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


The old man has no duty under law to support his adult children. The old man is committing no crime. So it's time to think outside the box to keep the income stream.

Good luck.


The father's father has no legal duty.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


There is no obligation of the grandfather to support his son's family. The family should look outside to social services.


Neither of the fathers has a legal duty to provide support. Since the accident happened on a road, I assume this was an accident involving a vehicle. Since the injury is so serious, make sure that you contact a lawyer immediately! DO NOT WAIT. Make sure that your lawyer finds out if there was a defective condition with the road, sign, traffic light or something else. In NY, you have 90 days from the accident date to file a Notice of Claim against a government entity.

My answer is for general information purposes (a little more than entertainment) and I do not give legal advice without a personal consultation in New York. I am only licensed to practice law in the State of New York and my answer here pertains to a general question in NY.