Skip to main content

Who should be plaintiff when filing for eviction for non-payment of rent?

Jersey City, NJ |

This is similar to another question that was asked here, but with a few distinctions. First, this is an owner-occupied two family house. Second, the terms Lessor and Lessee were used in the written lease, not Landlord and Tenant. The lease indicates the "Lessor" is the parent of the owner of the property (this owner too is often out of state). A second individual (owner's sibling) has been listed in the lease to be the "agent" for the Lessor. When filing for an eviction, can the agent be the Plaintiff (as either co-manager or agent for Lessor/owner)? If not, the answer to the other question indicated Lessor could be plaintiff as property manager. In this case, can the agent go to court in place of the Lessor?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


In the eviction notice call the agent "property manager" and the court will permit the person to represent the owner. Lessor/Lessee in the law mean exactly the same as Tenant/Landlord. The suit is filed in L/T court in Jersey City at the Hudson County Courthouse.

You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful
(Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

You might find my legal guide on landlord/tenant regulations in general and in NJ helpful.
You might find my legal guide on landlord/tenant litigation helpful.

Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.