Skip to main content

Who should be called for a deer stand violation? Police or DNR?

Lake City, IA |

Our neighbor put a tree stand in a tree that is in our fence line but put it over looking our land. We called the DNR, who removed the stand but did not issue a citation. The neighbor told DNR that it was not his stand. He later testified under oath it was his. Is it too late bring charges against him? This happened in April. The DNR officer knows he lied to him. Should I hire a lawyer as this same guy was caught removing trees from our land and transplanting them on his property.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Since the tree stand is gone, I doubt the police will do anything about it. Depending on the value of the trees, it might be worthwhile to hire an attorney to at lease send a demand letter to him, and perhaps to provide a "friendly" reminder that trespassing will not be tolerated (though this might serve only to stoke the fire). In what context did he testify under oath?

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.