Skip to main content

Who receives the tax deduction benefits when home is held in trust, but I live in it and pay for property taxes, maintenance, et

San Francisco, CA |

I have the option to reside in my parents home (both deceased) which is held in an irrevocable trust. The trust mandates I pay property taxes, maintenance, repairs, and utilities (there is no mortgage). The home won't transfer to me for 10 years. If the trust owns the property, but I pay all these costs, who gets the tax deductions/benefits? It seems the trust would, since it owns the home, not me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I think the trust would get the deductions, but would then "K-1" them to you so you would get the ultimate benefit. Ask your CPA...

This is not legal advice. I am not your lawyer. You are not my client. You cannot rely on my response to your question. My response to your question is probably worth exactly what you paid for it. You don't get to sue me for anything. If you'd like to sue me, well you have to hire me first. Here's how you can hire me! #1 Call: 1-888-463-2843 #2 Email: #3 See me on TV! - go to the Ask the Expert tab! #4 Listen to my radio show (2 full hours every week!) - go to the podcast section.


Ultimately, the deduction will end up on your side of the equation. Work with your CPA to document.


I agree-you would get the deduction with proof of payment.
Your CPA would need to review the trust agreement and confirm.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.