Who lodges detainers on state cases?

Was wondering if anyone knew who is in charge of lodging a detainer against a person with a pending charge in a different state then where he is currently incarcerated. Is it the prosecuting attorney? If so is there a way for a lawyer to talk him into not lodging a detainer? We don't have an attorney at this point, so don't say why don't you ask your attorney. Or hire an attorney. I know that is an easy answer for most of you people answering these questions instead of explaining something to someone. How about some facts and not brainless answers. Thought this website was a place for professional answers and not answers that my dog could answer.

Pursuant to the Penal Code, detainers can be lodged by law enforcement or prosecuting agencies.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.

Awesome thank you very much.

As a general rule, the prosecuting agency lodges detainers, but it is not limited to them.

Any peace officer or prosecuting agency can file a detainer. Police don't generally pay attention to the law in most cases. So, I doubt if a lawyer talking to them will accomplish anything. Prosecutors don't listen to defense lawyers until charges have been filed.

The response above is not intended as legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal questions can only be fully answered through consultation with an attorney to whom you give full and accurate details. Anything you post here is not confidential and is not protected by the attorney-client relationship. It is highly recommended that you seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting.

Alexander Fredrick Harper

Alexander Fredrick Harper

As a former prosecutor, I have to disagree here. In some cases, a defense attorney can make a lot of headway by talking to a prosecutor's office before charges are filed. These aren't common occurrences, and the attorneys who are able to make a difference aren't common either.