Skip to main content

Who is the person that will ENFORCE a Court Order (by the Boulder County Court Judge) and make my X husband pay me back?

Westminster, CO |

My X and myself attended a Contempt of Court hearing; the Judge ordered us to attend Mediation, which we did. the Mediator sent her Mediation Agreement to the Court and it was made a Court Order. My X decided NOT to obey the Court Order. I filed another Contempt of Court order against him and we went back to court & stood before the Judge. The Judge ordered him to follow the MOU. As of today, my X still refuses to pay me. ** What can I do now? The Judge isn't insisting on enforcing anything that was made a Court Order. (Boulder County Court)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

As a former judge, the judge should have imposed some form of punishment if your ex did not comply with the court order, instead of just ordering him to comply. I typically imposed the maximum jail in CO (180 days) and stayed the jail as long as the person was in compliance with the court order. As soon as they fell out of compliance, then the stay on the jail was lifted and a warrant with 180 days of jail and no bond was issued. I am not sure if the judge simply does not understand contempt or is not getting the severity of the situation. I have a good friend, David Rich, who is a family law attorney in Boulder who can assist you with this. You can search for him with the Find a Lawyer tool on Avvo. He is very active on this site and simply let him know that I referred him to you. He will likely be able to have the court order your ex to pay for his attorneys fees as well

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.


The judge.

Take him (ex) back to court.

Justice sometimes grinds slow, but it grinds fine.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.


It may be necessary to file contempt several times before the judge reaches the point that he or she will issue serious penalties such as jail time. Alternatively, you can have money owed to you reduced to a judgment so that you can garnish your ex-husband's wages or his bank accounts if he has money that you can access in that manner.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC by phone or email. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer