Skip to main content

Who is the payee for social security dependent benefits?

Evanston, IL |

Is it the dependent/child, or the parent who has the benefit?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The payee is the person who receives the money for another. If the child is getting benefits and a payee has been ordered, it is is usually the parent who has custody who is the payee. If the parent is getting benefits, the money goes to the custodial parent as well.

Hope that helps.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree for a child it is normally the custodial parent.

This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is not meant and should not be construed to be the formation of an attorney client relationship. I practice Virginia Workers compensation law and Social Security Disability law.


The representative payee is usually the parent or guardian. However, there can be exceptions, such as when the child is in a foster home.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer