Skip to main content

Who is responsible for continuing nuisance on the property?

Los Angeles, CA |

My neighbor often has multiple guests who cause disruptions, steal, fight, keep me up all hours of the night, etc.. She has allowed two friends to move in against the landlords wishes. The landlord agrees that there is a problem, but nothing is done, and the nuisance continues. I recently had my keys stolen from a common area, and am afraid to leave my place for work. Can I refuse to pay rent until something is done?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


"Can I refuse to pay rent until something is done?" -- That would not be a good tactic. You would probably find yourself facing an unlawful detainer action. You may wish to contact the City Attorney's Office. They offer informal dispute resolution (mediation) for issues such as these. Optionally, you may choose to move or file suit against your landlord for breach of the covenant of quiet enjoyment. Good luck.

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon.<br> <br> Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us.<br> <br> The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential. I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo because I have answered or commented on a question. Specifically, I assume no duty to respond to any question, comment, telephone call, or email because of my participation.<br> <br> All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.



Thanks for the information. Would this follow under the umbrella of "implied warrant of habitability"? I am in a month-to-month verbal rental agreement.

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude


"Would this follow under the umbrella of "implied warrant of habitability"? No. It falls under the umbrella of "breach of the covenant of quiet enjoyment."

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer