Who is liable to pay my the vet bills for my dog that was attacked by my neighbor's pitbull breed dog? The dog was not leashed.

Manchester, NH |

My dog was attacked while being walked by my friend last night. The dog is a pitbull breed dog and is living in the same condo building I live in. These tenants just moved into the building last month and brought in this dog. This owner even told another neighbor in my building that his dog is vicious and would most likely attack the neighbors dog and that they should keep away. Well this tenant's dog is the one that attacked mine. They were sent a letter a few weeks ago by the condo association to have the dog removed from the property if it was a pitbull breed dog. They did not do so. My dog had to have surgery and it cost over $300 so far. Who is responsible or who can I hold accountable to reimburse me for this?

The dog owner is liable for your vet bills.

The answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is for informational purposes only.

Lassen Law Firm
1515 Market St #1510
Philadelphia, PA 19102
215-510-6755
http://www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

Did you file a report with animal control? If you have not done so, then you need to file one immediately. Once you have filed the report, send a copy of it and copies of any of your vet bills to the dog's owner, with delivery confirmation, and demand payment within X days. You should also send a copy to the HOA. If you do not receive payment within that time you can file a claim in small claims court.

Be aware however, that winning a judgment and collecting a judgment are two different things. Meaning that even if you win, you may never be able to collect.

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.

Thanks for your response. The police were called and came and spoke with not only me but the Tenant who owned the dog. The owner was not there but there we guests in their home that are the ones that let the dog out of the house. Animal control were contacted and I was told they removed the dog from the property. So if I understand your comments I will still need to contact Animal Control to file my own report?

Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

No, if a report has already been filed with the police you don't need an additional one from animal control. Call the police and get a copy of their report..

The owner of the pitbull would be responsible. You may have an argument that the condo association never followed up but, if you are an owner in the association, it may not be wise to sue them, especially over this amount. Take the dog owner to small claims court.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

Thank you for your response. I actually am a tenant and so is the owner of the dog.