Skip to main content

Who do I turn to when the HOA, the contractor and the home insurance company say it's not their fault?

Van Nuys, CA |

I own a condo unit which has two floors. I had a leak at the laundry room on the 2nd floor that I did not notice until it started leaking in the 1st floor living room. I called the Home Owner Association and they sent a general contractor to investigate. The contractor opened up a big hole in my ceiling, said there's mold there and left. I've informed the HOA and the insurance company, but everyone says it's my problem to fix. Is it? Is anyone other than me responsible in this situation? Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Call your the insurer for your unit.


I agree it is your problem. Hopefully, you have homeowners insurance. Report the matter to your carrier. Still, you may be out of luck as many policies exclude water damage from leaking pipes. Good luck.

SINCE 1974. My answers are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers assume California law. I am licensed in California, only. Answers must not be relied upon.<br> <br> Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. <br> <br> I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us.<br> <br> The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential. I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo because I have answered or commented on a question. Specifically, I assume no duty to respond to any question, comment, telephone call, or email because of my participation.<br> <br> All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult an attorney licensed in the appropriate jurisdiction for advice and counsel. See, also, Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.<br>


More information is required. What is the source of the leak, a pipe, the washing machine, the roof, something else? How old is your unit? The statute of limitations for latent defects may be up to 10 years. If you insurer doesn't cover the claim, you should contact an attorney experienced in construction defect cases.

I am not your attorney, and the above information is for educational cases only.

I am not your lawyer, and I am giving you this information to help you find a lawyer. Do not rely on this information. Consult a lawyer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer