Skip to main content

Who do I have to file the lawsuit against the driver that was at fault or the owner of the car?

Sun Valley, CA |

I was involved in car accident about an year ago. I was not the person in fault the other driver. The other driver was insured at the day of the accident and now that i collected my data i contacted his insurance company and now they said he was not insured. I also noticed that the car was not under his name neither. So my question is who would i have to file the lawsuit against?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


You don't mention why you are suing - is it for damage to your car or for personal injuries? If for personal injuries, I strongly suggest you find a lawyer to sort out the issues for you - it will be worth it in the end. If it's just a property damage case, you should sue the driver and the listed owner of the car. It's possible the owner has insurance even if the driver does not. If the driver was working at the time, sue his employer as well (perhaps that is who the owner is).


Good question!
The owner of the vehicle is statutorily responsible for $15,000. If there is a negligent entrustment issue, then it may be unlimited. As a practical matter, our office always names the driver and the owner of the vehicle in every suit.
Best of luck!


Your best bet is to sue both of them. You should get a lawyer unless this is a small claims type case. All the best.


You should file suit against the driver and all owners of the responsible vehicle.

Disclaimer The information contained in this answer and Website is provided for general informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter or any particular claim or case. No recipients of content from this answer and site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in this answer and site without first seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this answer and Website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, strategy, laws, verdicts or settlements. This Attorney and Firm expressly disclaim all liability with respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this answer, general page and entire Website.


You should sue both the driver and the owner. You should also check to see if you had uninsured motorist/property damage. If so, your insurance will pay and go after the party at fault.


You could sue the driver for negligence and registered owner for negligent entrustment.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer