Skip to main content

Who can see a sealed criminal record? That did not result in a conviction, but was charged and dismissed?

Denver, CO |
Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Mr. Bryans is absolutely accurate. The general public, potential employers, schools, universities, etc. can not access sealed records. However, they always and forever remain accessible to law enforcement, which is not a positive. I have had clients arrested on bogus charges of claims of domestic violence and the DA dismissed it before trial as being unsubstantiated, but law enforcement still shows them as being "dangerous" and even "armed." As such, whenever they get pulled over for a traffic violation, they are stopped by law enforcement at gunpoint on a "felony stop." It is ridiculous.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.


Sealed records are accessible/visible to all law enforcement agencies forever. Those records are not available to the general public.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in a free consultation with Mr. Bryans, call The Bryans Law Office at (303) 832-2930.


Courts and law enforcement can see sealed records.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.


The other answers are assuming that you filed a separate civil action and obtained an order from a District Court sealing your record in the case. If you did not take those steps, then your record is not sealed, even though the case was dismissed, and anyone can see that record. This answer is provided as general information about a legal issue, is not legal advice specific to a particular case, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship with the person asking the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer