Skip to main content

Who besides yourself can go to a bank and change beneficiaries on a Traditional ira or CD's. if you are too sick to do it.

Davenport, IA |

relative had cancer and was bedridden caregiver, friend, or family member went to Bank and changed beneficiaries, they say they took the paperwork to her to sign but I can't believe that would be legal. Nurses can't sign legal documents can they ? She died a week later.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can give a power of attorney to someone of your choice to do this for you.
You should have an attorney prepare and advise you.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.


Joseph is right. A properly drafted and executed Power of Attorney allows you to appoint someone to stand in your shoes legally and act on your behalf. An Estate Planning Attorney can help you with this. See under Find-A-Lawyer.


There may have been a power of attorney used. This is a document which would have been signed by your relative, which authorized another individual to sign such documents on her behalf. Since you are asking this question, I am guessing you feel someone did something which may be inappropriate or illegal. If that is the case, you would be best served by meeting with an attorney to discuss your concerns.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.