Skip to main content

While waiting for my Social Security disability to approve, can I leave the country?

Lynnwood, WA |

I want to go back to my home country (I am a Green Card Holder) and stay for at least 2 years and wait for my Social Security Disability approval as I cannot afford to stay in USA as I dont have an income and cannot work.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

You need to check with SSA about what will happen if you are approved-- there may be some limits on getting payments when you are out of the US.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.


You can leave, but you will need to be prepared to return if needed to pursue your case. In particular, if an administrative hearing is necessary you will definitely want to be present.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.


The process itself does not restrict your ability to travel but you may want need to come back for a hearing. The vast majority of my clients need to appear before an Administrative Law Judge to testify. Best of luck to you.

This information is provided as a public service to provide a general answer and should not be relied upon as legal advice.