Skip to main content

Which one of the following counts as a liquid asset that i can add to support my income if i want to sponsor an immigrant for gr

Dallas, TX |

Which one of the following counts as a liquid asset that i can add to support my income if my income is not enough and i want to sponsor an immigrant for green card?
1. Bank account statement. ( For how long should it exist or credited, and what period do i need to have?)
2. Car ownership/Title OR
3. House
Does all this really count as income for affidavit of support requirement under immigration law ? Please advice

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Only the bank account could theoretically count as a liquid asset, but not really, since the government thinks "one minute it's there, next minute could be all lost in Las Vegas".

A liquid asset means any type of asset that can be readily converted into cash in one year or less.

If you want your assets to be taken into consideration, then their value must be 5 times the amount of income needed. Read the Affidavit of Support instructions for a detailed explanation.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Money in the bank account. There is a formula in I-864 instructions how to calculate its value.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Please see the answer to your other question.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer