Skip to main content

Which is better to use for a senior, an Estate Lawyer or an Elder Lawyer

Goshen, IN |
Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

If I may generalize, most elder law attorneys do estate planning while most estate planners do not do Medicaid planning. You decide which is right for your situation.

Responses provided on Avvo are for general informational purposes only, based upon the limited information that is provided, and do not constitute legal advice. As such you should consult with your own attorney for specific advice. No attorney/client relationship exists with Kelly S. Davis unless set forth in a written engagement letter. The Wyoming State Bar does not certify any attorney as a specialist or expert. Anyone considering a lawyer should independently investigate the lawyer's credentials and ability, and not rely upon advertisements or self-proclaimed expertise.


I am sure that either would be able to advise you, as would any experienced probate attorney.
Disclaimer: California attorney Robert Miller has practiced for over 46 years and restricts his practice to real estate and probate matters in the Central District of Los Angeles. Any opinion expressed is for general informational purposes only, no attorney-client relationship is intended or created by this answer, and no action or inaction should be contemplated without first employing and consulting with a competent attorney convenient to the questioner.


Many Elder Law attorneys are also Estate Planning attorneys and vice versa. For a senior use an Elder Law attorney because of the technicalities that apply to senior care. Good Luck!!

My answer is based on the limited facts presented. It doesn’t create an attorney-client relationship. Use the ‘Find-A-Lawyer’ search engine at the top of this page and follow proper legal advice.


An elder law lawyer will be able to help with unique challenges presented to seniors, whereas an estate planning lawyer can help plan through a will/trust/power of attorney etc. If you need help with probate, many of these lawyers will do that as well. Try the find a lawyer feature here on AVVO and good luck!


If the individual is dependent on any means-tested benefits, such as Medicaid waivers, SSI, etc., then an elder lawyer. If not, then an estate planning practitioner.

veRONIca jarnagin, atty, pc 317-253-7664 provides this response as general guidance and not specific legal advice. If you wish to receive specific legal advice for your situation, please call to schedule an appointment.